- The 2015/16 Ford Design Grant (the “Grant”) is open to full time or part time fashion design students who are aged 18 or above (as of the application closing date on 30 November 2015), in any year at an educational institute in any Asian or European country*.
*Afghanistan, Åland Islands, Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belgium, Bhutan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Channel Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faeroe Islands, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Holy See, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Jersey, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Latvia, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao Special Administrative Region, Macedonia, Mainland China, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, Netherlands, North Korea, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Sark, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, or Yemen.
- Only individual applicants will be accepted.
- The Grant is not open to employees of Ford, their families, any of Ford’s agents and/or advisors for the competition or anyone to whom Ford deems inappropriate.
- Any applicant who is under investigation, has been charged with or committed a criminal offence of any kind at any stage before or during the Grant will be disqualified.
- Ford reserves the right to limit, refuse or withdraw any applicant at any stage of the grant cycle if the applicant is found to have violated any of the terms and conditions of entry listed herein.
- By entering this competition, the applicant declares that all of their details are true and correct.
- Applicants are required to submit the following documents when applying for the Grant:
- Three written statements
- Any ID or certification to prove the applicant’s student status
- Past design sample(s)
- Applicants are required to meet all application deadlines and requirements specified by Ford and understand that late or invalid submissions will not be accepted. Applicants can be disqualified by Ford at any time at Ford’s final discretion for failing to meet the deadlines or entry requirements and other reasons as determined by Ford.
- All past design samples submitted by the applicants must be original and must be entirely created by the applicant who submitted.
- Ford may accept and/or reject any application at its sole discretion.
Selection of winners
- Three winners will be selected by a panel of regional and international judges, who will evaluate the portfolios submitted by the applicants.
- All decisions made by Ford and the regional and international panel of judges are final. Ford’s employees and the judges will not enter into any disputes or
discussions from applicants.
Creation of outfit by winners
- Each winner will receive sustainable fabric and a monetary grant in the amount of US$1,000 from Ford. Each winner must design and create one outfit, using the Ford fabrics and Grant provided within four months from the time he/she receives the fabric and Grant. The winner should send photographs of the final outfit once they have completed the work.
- Winners must use Ford’s sustainable fabric as the main material for the outfit and are permitted to mix with other materials.
- The Grant must be used towards the production of the outfit and/or towards the winner’s education.
- The final work must be original and must be entirely created by the winner. The outfit design shall not violate Ford’s social values. The created work shall not violate anyone’s intellectual property rights, including but not limited to copyright, trademark rights, portrait rights, etc. Ford will assume no liability for the work submitted, or be responsible for accusations of plagiarism, copyright issues, or any intellectual property rights issues related to the entries and works submitted. The applicants must take sole responsibility and in such case, the applicant shall indemnify Ford for any loss or damages and his/her admission to the grant shall be terminated.
- The copyright of the final work is owned by the winner.
Use of final work
- Ford encourages winners to exhibit the final outfit, whether in their colleges or universities, public space, or online. However, where Ford deems any final outfit as unsuitable for display for any reasons, the winner shall refrain from displaying the final outfit in any forum.
- When exhibiting or displaying the created work, winners must attribute the source of the fabric to Ford.
- Grant winners may be asked to take part in media interviews, or internal interviews, for communication and promotional purposes. Grant winners may also be asked to be photographed with their final outfit at a later date, organized by the Ford team. Ford owns the copyright of all photos and videos taken of the applicants and their final outfit, and Ford is entitled, without limitation, to use and reproduce these for purposes such as promotion, marketing, obtaining sponsorship and competition organization. No fees shall be paid to applicant(s).
- Applicant agrees that Ford is free to use all works and interviews submitted by the applicant for promotion, marketing and for display purposes without any prior consent from the applicants.
- Ford may borrow all the finished outfits – for a minimum period of two months – made by the grant winners and shall use these for appropriate educational and promotional use after the grant announcement, such as exhibitions and for fashion shoots. The designer shall always be credited if and when their outfits are displayed following the Grant’s completion. Ford will return the outfits to the students.
- Ford will not be responsible for any damages or loss of work suffered or incurred during the promotional shoots.
- All personal information will be kept confidential, unless with prior agreement with the applicant, and their personal contact details will be used solely for the purposes of Ford.
- Ford is committed to the elimination of all forms of discrimination to ensure that no applicant receives less favorable treatment because of age, disability, sex, marriage and civil partnership, nationality, national or ethnic origin, politics, race, religion or belief.
- Ford reserves the right to change or cancel the scheduled date(s).
- Ford reserves the right to change the Grant without prior notice.
- Ford reserves the right to add and change the rules of the Grant unilaterally and the applicants shall observe and bind by these rules.