THE FORD DESIGN GRANT
At Ford, we recognize the crucial impact of design on the environment and want to fund up-and-coming fashion design students that encourage, preserve, and disseminate the best in sustainable design. Through this grant, we want to embolden students to work with alternative fabrics and think about design and fashion production in a sustainable way. The grant is designed to create a better understanding that, when it comes to sustainability, designers are in the driver’s seat – devising creative and innovative solutions to help save the planet.
Three grants of USD$1,000 each will be awarded. Each grant winner will also be supplied with three types of
sustainable fabrics used in Ford vehicles. To learn more about the sustainable fabrics, please click the link below.
- The Ford Design Grant is open to fashion design students – part time or full time – living in any Asian or European country*
- Applicants will be required to show proof of enrollment
- Applicants must be 18 years or over
- Only individual applicants are accepted
A set of judging criteria has been designed to score applicants. There is equal weighting across the three judging categories with a maximum of 30 marks. The three applicants with the highest scores will be awarded with the textiles and grant. The criteria include:
- Innovative application of textiles – the applicant must demonstrate his/her creativity through the proposed use of Ford’s sustainable textiles based on their written statement
- Fashion appeal – the applicant must demonstrate his/her designs have the fashion appeal for the masses based on their portfolio and written statements
- Sustainability – the applicant must demonstrate their innovation in environmental sustainability based on their written statements
Grant applications due: November 30, 2015
Announcement of grant winners: January 2016
To be considered for the annual Ford Design Grant, please review the brief and fill out the
The fund committee will review your application within 90 days and you will be informed of your acceptance or denial.
*Origin countries eligible for grant award:
Afghanistan, Åland Islands, Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belgium, Bhutan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Channel Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faeroe Islands, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Holy See, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Jersey, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Latvia, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao Special Administrative Region, Macedonia, Mainland China, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, Netherlands, North Korea, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Sark, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, or Yemen.